Attractive and deytailed map of Constantinople.
The Bosphorus dividing Europe from Asia and the Golden Horn to the left. The Topkapi palace is in the middle of the map.
Finely engraved so that all sights and famous streets easily found.
Excellent hand colour
Very good condition.
This map is a steel engraving, dating to 1840 by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, S.D.U.K.
code : M4532
Cartographer : S.D.U.K
Date : 1840 London
Size : 32.5*39.5 cms
availability : Available
Price : £120
The Society For The Diffusion Of Useful Knowledge was founded by John, Earl Russell, and Henry Brougham, later Lord Chancellor of England in 1827. The Society’s main purpose was to encourage universal literacy by publishing numbers of books of good quality that would be affordable to the poor. Perhaps the grandest of their publications was their atlas, originally entitled “Maps Of The Society For The Diffusion Of Useful Knowledge”, first issued by Baldwin and Cradock, and then re-issued by other publishers, latterly Edward Stanford.